As we are getting into the school year I am seeing friendships within the classroom blossom. It would be awesome if the friendships could continue outside of school. I know that setting up play dates can be a struggle and I thought it would be a good idea to create a class book. I would turn this into a writing assignment and the kids would have a published class book at the end to have at home. In order for this to work I need your permission. Please fill out this permission slip . Each student would have their own page that tells a little bit about themselves. I would love to get some feedback on this idea so please be sure to fill out the questions, concerns or suggestions section.
This week for reading we continued to focus on "WH" questions. I feel that we have mastered "who", are at 75% with "what" and introduced "where". I love being able to ask a question and see the kids raise their hands in excitement to answer. Some are still hesitant but do an excellent job answering with prompting. Here is an example of our note sheet we have been using.
In math we are using Touch Math. The kids have mastered adding the dots to numbers 1-5. I have introduced 6 and 7 this week and these numbers are a bit more challenging. Remembering to add the circle around the dot to "double it" is tricky. We will continue to practice and I know we will be able to move on to numbers 8 and 9 by next week. Here is an anchor chart we have in our classroom to help the students with knowing where the dots go. If you have some extra time at home it would be great to practice adding the dots to the numbers.
In addition to knowing how to add the dots to the numbers we have been working on using the Touch Dots to add. Here is an example of one of our worksheets.
If you would like to learn more about Touch Math you can check out their website here.
For writing we are carrying over what we have been working on in reading. Last week we focused on writing "who" "did what" sentences. This week we were able to add the "where" into them. The kids are loving this and are coming up with the best sentences. I also LOVE seeing all of the capitals at the beginning and punctuation at the end. Next week I would like the kids to start making their writing more personal. Please send in pictures (or email them to me) of things the kids have done.
Tomorrow we will read our first News-2-You article. Be sure to look for these in your child's homework folder. It would be great for them to re-read these articles and hopefully start a conversation about current events at home.
I hope everyone has a great Friday and a wonderful weekend!
Mrs. Boysal

No comments:
Post a Comment