Sunday, October 11, 2015

Weekly Update October 5-9

I would like to start off this weeks post with a long over due, THANK YOU!! One of our families donated a Target gift card at the beginning of the year. Look at everything I was able to purchase for our classroom! 


Food Cart: This week started our weekly food cart runs! Every Tuesday and Friday students from our classroom and Mrs. Redding's classroom go from classroom to classroom selling coffee and goodies to teachers. This is a great way for students to practice their communication and money skills. Currently only our 5th graders are taking part in this (due to scheduling) however, I would like to start having 4th grade participate after winter break. (I am so bummed that I forgot to take a picture of the cart!!)

Community Based Instruction (CBI): As you all know one of the unique things about my classroom is we get to participate in Community Based Instruction. During these trips we focus on a number of skills including but not limited to; community behaviors/expectations, money skills, communication, traveling and independence. 

We have scheduled our first CBI trip to Wasem's Fruit Farm. This trip will take place on Friday, October 30th. We will take a bus to the event, learn a little bit about the fruit farm and bee's, explore the store and enjoy a tasty treat of donuts and cider and travel through the orchard to pick apples! I will extend this trip by using the apples we pick to make applesauce (the following week). 

This CBI will cost each student $8. Please send in this permission slip along with the money in an envelope. If payment for the trip is an obstacle please let me know. 

Here is the website for Wasem's Fruit Farm if you wanted to check it out!

Individualized Instruction: As you know our classroom is full of many activities. On top of all of the new lessons we work on daily I must tackle IEP goals and objectives. One of the ways I do this is by creating individual baskets for every student. I fill these baskets with activities that correspond with each students goals for reading, writing and math. I pull the kids one on one or in a group of 2 if goals are similar to another student. This is a great way for me to work on their goals in isolation without new content being introduced. I am also able to easily take data during this time. Here are some photos of activities students have been working on. 





We also read about The World Series on Friday in our weekly News-2-You! Hopefully the kids brought it home and you were able to read it with them.



On Friday we also had the school Fun Run! The kids had a blast!!! They loved running/walking laps, hula hooping, jump roping and dancing on the track at Crabtree Field!


(it was PJ day in one of our classrooms :))

Here's to another great week in the books!!

Mrs. Boysal

No comments:

Post a Comment